Gamal Elkheshen, is an Egyptian artist, born and raised in Cairo Egypt in 1988, In 2010, he received his BFA from the Graphic Design Department in the Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University, Zamalek, At the young age of 25, He acquired his MFA from the same university under the thesis title “Printed Artwork in Pop Art and the Effect of Advertising”. And it was the first step to focus on contemporary arts studies, he currently pursuing his doctoral studies; his main research focus is on "The Drawing in the 21st century” .
Gamal was recently nominated to represent Egypt at the 56th International Art Exhibition of the Venice Biennale in May 2015. The project he designed with 2 other Egyptian colleagues named “CAN YOU SEE?”, During the opening week of the biennale, the Egyptian pavilion was widely popular and successfully attracted many visitors to it
He currently work as Teacher Assistant at the Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University, Zamalek, Cairo where I teach Drawing, Printmaking and Design.
Gamal artwork focuses on drawing, painting, digital print, engraving and Installation, Video Art.
Upcoming Events 2018,
· Solo Exhibition The Dark Flowers" .
· Installation Video Art Project Cairo tronica
· Solo Exhibition, Dubai.
· Group of Artists, Galleria La Corte Arte Contemporanea, Florence.
- Solo Exhibition "End Of Season" Gallery Misr,Cairo, Egypt.
- The Media Art Exhibition, Art Basel, Miami, USA.
- Group of Artists, Galleria La Corte Arte Contemporanea,Florance.
- Drawing exhibition, 88 Gallery, Berlin,Germany.
- Upper Egypt Salon, Luxor, Egypt.
- The Intentional prints Exhibition of Miami prints gallery MPG,US.
- · The International Nord Art Exhibition 2016, Büdelsdorf ,Germany.
- · The Egyptian-Bulgarian exhibition at Sofia university, Bulgaria.
- · The International Symposium of Electronic and New Media
- · Arts Cairo-tronica.
- · Egyptian artists Show- Egyptian Embassy in Lebanon.
- · The Intentional prints Exhibition Miami, United stats of America
- · Art Basel, Digital prints Conference, Hong Kong
- · The Hidden Massage, Drawing Exhibition Art lounge ,Cairo
- · The Contemporary International FBA Exhibition, London,UK.
- · The National Graphic Exhibition, Cairo, Egypt.
- · Egyptian Artists exhibition in KSA.
- · Agenda Art Exhibition, Bib-Alex, Alexandria, Egypt.
- · The Egyptian Youth Salon, 26,The Arts Palace, Cairo, Egypt
- Venice Biennale 56, Egyptian Pavilion, Venice, Italy.
- Tokyo International Mini - Print Triennial , Tokyo, Japan.
- Upper Egypt Salon, Luxor, Egypt.
- North-South, European Union Art Culture Event .Discovering Egypt.
- Agenda Art Exhibition, Bib-Alex, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Youth Salon, The Arts Palace, Cairo Opera House , Cairo , Egypt.
- Local arts exhibition events in Cairo.
- Biennial of Small Graphic Form, Niklaas,Belgium.
- Gabrovo International Biennale of Humour and Satire in the Arts, Bulgaria.
- The BIMPE (Biennial International Miniature Print Exhibition), Vancouver BC.
- Contemporary Art Exhibition, Art Basel, Miami, USA.
- National Biennial of Contemporary Prints, Spain.
- International Print Biennial ROC, Shanghai.
- lntergraflk Triennial of Engaged Graphic Art.
- The Icelandic Printmakers’ Association.
- International Biennale de Aquarelle, Fabriano, Italy .
- Seoul International Print Biennale, South Korea. International Triennial Color in Graphic Art, Turin, Italy. Local arts exhibition events in Cairo.
- Arabian Artists Exhibitions, Tunis, Jordon and Egypt.
- Local arts exhibition events in Cairo.
- Graduation Art Exhibition, Cairo Opera House, Egypt.
-The First Prize of the Egyptian Youth salon 2017 “Installation Project” 2016
-The prize of representing the Egyptian pavilion art Venice biennale 2015
-The second prize of the Daie Biennale , Cairo Egypt.
-The prize of the upper youth salon, Luxor Egypt.
-The second prize of the international biennale of water color, Fba, febraiano, Italy.
Expressing myself with words was never my strength; I always believed in the power of visual impressions to deliver my ideas. During my final two years as a student at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Cairo, I suddenly felt trapped in how to do mixed media with drawing ,painting and printmaking. To connect the different material together, and always had the question on my mind how to use the technology in my art, Trying to escape that feeling, I first began experimenting with develop my technique using a computer with my art , gradually moving on to mix the computer with my art. I experimented with different materials, all the while searching for a more interesting surface to touch and feel we are in 21th century.
When I discovered the way, my senses were enchanted. I was able to touch the details with my fingers. I no longer needed a pallet knife or a brush stroke to express myself and I began a new journey of artistic discovery. It set my mind and senses free to reconstruct something new, and to break and rearrange its parts as quick as the ideas that jumped to my head. Using drawing and painting and computer tesserae in my artwork awoke the child spirit in me and gave me a playful sense of joy.
In my earlier years of experimentation with drawing and painting, I mainly focused on documentations through do a Realistic works of drawings and painting, Later on, a new evolutionary period in my practice began. Then I start work on arts projects after trip to Spain in art residency with artists are working on how to write an art project, than I start work on different projects with different material, I found in my path on writing before starting any art work, and the ideas comes from my writing might be from memory what I feel and what I can do, I was lucky in young age to represent Egypt at the Venice biennale 2015 I write the concept of the project under name can you see?! And it was a hidden massage to discover the peace, the theme of the biennale was “all the future world”. And after the experiences I had in the biennale I start think of I want to make different ideas could through it, Even though I had no idea what I would do with them at first, I was sure I would find a place for them in this world. With these interesting pieces of tesserae in mind, I moved on to create larger pieces of artwork that helped me to express my feelings faster, as if creating preliminary sketches, an expression of the ideas and thoughts that spontaneously came to my mind.
My artwork is experimental – it is mainly divided into projects, every project comes after some researches and in-depth examination of the subject matter giving each project its own concept, character, technique and materials. The interaction between the project, the viewer and myself become a priority when creating my installations in order to give the work a living spirit. I’m also working on experimenting with video art, painting and sculpture, exploring projects that could express aspects of my Art work through movement and sound through visual solutions and language.
PhD Fine Arts Currently
his main research focus is on "The Drawing in the 21st century” . and the effect of the contemporary arts on drawings. Helwan University, Cairo.
Masters in Fine Arts 2011-2013 Helwan University, Cairo.
MFA from the same university under the thesis title “Printed Artwork in Pop Art and the Effect of Advertising”.
Bachelor of Fine Arts 2005-2010 Helwan University, Cairo.
Lecturer in Design, Drawing, and print making 2013 to Present
Faculty of Fine Arts, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt
• Preparation and delivery of workshops
• Preparation of accreditation documentation
Assistant Lecturer 2010 - 2013
Faculty of Fine Arts , Helwan University
Teaching the following subjects: Design, Drawing, Landscape